The rules regarding temporary residence vary depending on whether you are a Nordic citizen, EU/EEA/Swiss citizen or a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen.

Please note that if you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen you will need to go to a police station that has an immigration office (Udlændingeafsnittet) in order to apply for a residence permit. For residents of North Denmark, except those in Morsø and Thisted municipalities, there is only one in the region and it is located in Aalborg. Residents of Morsø and Thisted municipalities must visit Holstebro police station as these municipalities are not part of the North Denmark police district (Nordjyllands Politikreds), but instead the Central- and West Denmark police district (Midt- og Vestjyllands Politikreds).

Nordic citizens
If you come from one of the Nordic countries (Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden) you will find information about what you need to do in order to take up residency, below.

The basic rule for Nordic citizens is that you are free to enter, work, study and reside in Denmark without a visa, residency or work permit. However, you will need a CPR-number and yellow health card, which you can apply for directly at the Citizens Service office (Borgerservice) office.

When going to the Citizens Service office make sure to bring:

  • Proof of address in Denmark (eg. rental contract)
  • ID (eg. passport or driver’s license)

If you have family members who are EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, however, they will need to apply for a registration certificate and should visit the State Administration’s (Statsforvaltningen) office in Aalborg. The only State Administration office in North Denmark is located in Aalborg. Family members who are non-EU/EEA citizens will need to apply for a residence permit through STAR (Styrelsen for Arbejdsmarked og Rekruttering) – you will find the immigration office at Aalborg police station or Holstebro police station.



EU/EEA/Swiss citizens
EU citizens do need permission to reside in Denmark (after a certain amount of time in the country), but they benefit from the free movement principle, which states that all EU member citizens may:

  • Look for a job in another EU country
  • Work there without needing a work permit
  • Reside there for that purpose
  • Stay there even after employment has finished
  • Enjoy equal treatment with nationals in access to employment, working conditions and all other social and tax advantages

If you come from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland you will find information on the rules of residency and work permits and how to register as a resident of Denmark below.



To apply for your registration certificate, you must complete your paperwork before arriving in Denmark or visit the State Administration office after arrival. Following this step, you can apply for your CPR number and yellow health card at the Citizens Service office. Family members who are EU/EEA/Swiss citizens must follow the same procedures, while family members who are non-EU/EEA citizens will need to apply for a residence permit through the immigration office at Aalborg police station or Holstebro Police station.

Non-EU/EEA citizens
The rules for living, working, and/or studying in Denmark as a non-EU/EEA citizen are more complex than those for the above groups. If you qualify to live here, whether through work, studies, or family reunification, and are a citizen of a non-Nordic or non-EU/EEA country, you will either complete your residency paper work through a Danish embassy abroad prior to arriving or start the process here.


If you have your residence permit letter already in hand, you can go straight to the Citizens Service office to apply for your CPR number and yellow health card. If you do not, you must visit the immigration office at either Aalborg police station or Holstebro police station first and then go to the Citizen Service office. Once you have received your residence permit, you may then apply for your CPR number and a health security certificate at the Citizens Service office.




Permanent residence in Denmark allows you to live and work in Denmark without having to renew your temporary residency permit as your situation changes. Please not that you will need to have permanent residence before you can apply for Danish citizenship.





European law dictates that as an EU citizen you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence in another EU country if you have lived there legally for at least 5 consecutive years.




You can then apply for a permanent residence document, which confirms your right to live permanently in the country, without any conditions. Once you request this document, your country of residence must issue it as soon as possible and at a price no higher than that which nationals pay for identity cards.




As a Nordic citizen, you are not required to register for the right to residence in Denmark or any of the other Nordic countries.





+45 9931 1530